Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Like the world needs another dad blog.

It's true.  There are many dad blogs out there.  Maybe too many.  Stay at home dads, single dads, dads of just daughters, dads who don't have custody – the so-called weekend warriors.  You name it, there is a dad blogging about it.  The only thing there is more of is mommy blogs.  Ah, Women.

Just trying to find a name for this darned blog I almost threw in the towel.  When you start googling catchy names to see what’s available, you realize every guy who ever even thought he was a dad has a blog dedicated to the ordeal.  Dad's life: Taken.  Busy Dad, Dads Anonymous, Good Dad Bad Dad, Great Dad, Dorky Dad. All gone.

The Dad Blog, Another Dad Blog, Not Another Dad Blog. All used. Not all updated in the past three years, but all off the market.

So why the heck start a dad blog? Good question.  The answer is a bit complicated. Of late I have felt the desire -- no, more the need -- to write about my own adventures being a dad.   Don't get me wrong.  I love it.  It seems the job I was meant to do, if only I could get paid for it.  But it is trying.  Sometimes comically so, and other times in a more heart-wrenchingly way.

When faced with such adversity, people often search for comfort and relief in activities.  Like working out. Some people go to the gym, and that’s all they need to deal with life’s little stresses (not referring directly to the kids here). But I’d have to live at the gym to effectively deal with my kids.

Others pick up a hobby.  Though no dad worth the weight has enough time for a really good hobby, unless you count lawn work. Besides, if I were to pick up a hobby it would have to be kite-boarding.  I’ve never done it before.  But as a rule, I prefer new hobbies that take two other cool sports I’ve never done and combine them into a seemingly ridiculous one.  Alas, kite-boarding requires total freedom – you have to be ready to go when the wind and waves are just right. And I just can’t. I also don’t live near water.

So instead of kite-boarding, or working out too much, I decided to turn to something I am more familiar with: writing.

Writing is my therapy.  It has been for some time.  Whenever faced with real adversity, I write.  So far, I have written one novella and one memoir.  Of course, I have not had either published.  But they are written I tell you. Writing is an effective outlet, if not a lucrative one.

So despite the seeming glut of dad blogs, I will be starting yet another one.  And not, Yet Another Dad Blog, because that name is taken too.

We’ll have to wait and see if this therapy works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruddy Bits